The 2013 Growing Season is coming soon. Please keep an eye on this page very soon – we are changing the way we grow and are therefore changing our membership forms. We will make an announcement when the new forms are ready.
MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION 2012 SEASON Gardener/Grower Membership A person must be an ICGS member in order to be eligible for allocation of a gardening plot. In order to be a member, a person must do the following:
- Sign the Membership Agreement
- Pay the annual membership fee of $25 and plot fee of $65
- Contribute volunteer time throughout the season
The Society reserves the right to revoke the membership of anyone who fails to abide by the terms of the Membership Agreement. Memberships are valid for one calendar year (June through May). Volunteer Work Members must contribute volunteer time to help with greenhouse tasks. Applicable tasks include construction, filling water barrels, helping elders or children with their plots, preparing the greenhouse at the start of the growing season and shutting it down at the end. Members are also strongly encouraged to join one of the ICGS committees or even the board. Allocation of Gardening Plots Each year, a number of plots are made available to greenhouse members and community groups. A small number are reserved for communal society use as well. Plots consist of a combination of:
- External bench space, approximately 5’ x 3’*
- Internal bench space or tubs (2 ½’ x 1 ½’)*
- Herb shelf space *Measurements not finalized and are estimates only
Since many people travel or take vacations during the summer, these plots will be assigned to groups.
- You may apply as an individual or a group by submitting a Garden Plot Allocation Form. Each allotment will be assigned to a team of a minimum of 3 people.
- Specific plots will be assigned to teams in a random draw, with plot fees due upon assignment. As plot space is limited, assignment is first come, first served.
- The number of plots available will be determined once the number of allocation requests is known.
- If there are more requests than plots available, a waiting list will be kept.
- Plots left unattended for 2 weeks will be given to someone on the waiting list. In such cases, allotment fees will not be refunded.
- We anticipate that the greenhouse will open mid-June.
- Only soil provided by ICGS will be permitted, in order to minimize the risk of pests and diseases. This soil will be provided to members free of charge.
- For the same reason, no plants may be brought into the greenhouse from outside at any time unless specified by the Chair of the Operations Committee.
- ICGS will provide seeds for use in the Greenhouse.
The greenhouse is a pilot project, and the ICGS will be monitoring all aspects of its operations. This has the following implications:
- Since the greenhouse’s capacity to produce food is a major focus of research, only vegetables may be grown in members’ garden plots. (ICGS will grow some flowers in outside boxes, and members are welcome to help look after the flowers.)
- Herbs may only be grown in the areas specified by the ICGS. Edible flowers may be grown here as well.
- Members will be required to record their gardening activities in a Greenhouse Journal, to help us learn about what works and what doesn’t work.
- All produce must be weighed and logged before it is removed from the greenhouse, in order to determine the total amount grown.
- Members will be expected to dispose of weeds and diseased or infested plants outside in a bin allocated for compost.
Hours of Operation The greenhouse will not be staffed, and so will not have regular hours of operation. Instead, a combination lock system has been installed on one of the doors. Members will be given the combination of the lock, and may use the greenhouse at their convenience. The last person in the greenhouse will ensure that both doors are locked when they leave. Annual Fees Annual Membership Fees are good for a calendar year.
- Gardener/Grower Membership: $90 per plot allocation (full plot $360)
- Friends of Iqaluit Community Greenhouse Society: $25 per person
- Membership fees are due in January or when submitting an application for membership.
Forms - NEW FORMS COMING SOON. If you would like to apply for a Gardener/Grower membership, or to become a Friend of the Iqaluit Community Greenhouse Society, please fill out the following forms. Please drop forms and fees (cash or cheque to Iqaluit Community Greenhouse Society) off to Suzanne Etheridge Monday to Friday during office hours at Building 1104A, Department of Environment. Outside of these times, please contact email@example.com to arrange for transfer of forms and funds. 2012 Membership Application 2012 Membership Agreement For your own records, please download a copy of our Membership Information for the 2012 Growing Season.